Graduate Creative Writing :: Admissions
Application deadline: January 1. Students accepted into the program will begin coursework in fall. No applications
will be considered for spring or summer admission.
To be considered for admission to the Master of Fine Arts degree program in Creative Writing, the following requirements must be met:
- An undergraduate degree, preferably in English, from an accredited college, with a 3.2 GPA average, or its
- A score in the 73rd percentile or better on the verbal reasoning section of the
Graduate Record Examination general test and a target analytical writing score of 4.0
[International applicants must also take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and must score at least
- Three letters of recommendation, preferably from former English instructors, assessing the student’s potential
to do graduate level work.
- A writing sample in one genre only: 12-20 pages of double-spaced fiction or nonfiction, or 10-15 pages of single-spaced poetry;
- A two-to-three page statement, describing the student's background, purpose for attending graduate school, and career goals;
- A completed application form submitted to the Graduate Admissions Office.
All application materials
should be submitted electronically through the online application.
If you would like to be considered for a Graduate Assistantship, please briefly indicate your interest in your personal statement.
All materials, including GRE scores and transcripts, must be received by the application
deadline in order for students to be considered for admission. Graduates of USF do not need
to order official transcripts. Applications are reviewed by an admissions committee after the application
deadline. Students will be notified of the application decision within eight weeks after